Monday, March 28, 2016

We've got girls!

Chickens

Well after all these years of boys boys boys I finally got some girls!  We have ten girls.  Five are Buff Orpingtons and five are Barred Rocks.  They are good for both meat and eggs and are good natured chickens.  We started them in the house in the dog crate.  The boys were all in love from the beginning and have held them everyday. Cooper has taken to telling people he has ten girls in his family.  Marshall loves to catch worms and bugs for them.  They boys have taken care of the girls by keeping them with fresh food and cleaning out their water.




  




BUT...when they were about three weeks old I had to move them outside to the garage.  The dust from the pine shavings was too much to have in the house.  


Robert was tasked with building their coop.  We are going to have them free range within electric netting with a mobile coop that can be moved around the acreage.  That way the girls gets to eat bugs and fertilize the ground and they are safe from predators. He came up with a plan based on what I told him the girls would need.  I think he did an awesome job!







Flamingo Flock pink!  Because something at my house should get to be pink.


They should start laying in July.  I have the date circled on the calendar and I just can't wait to get that first egg!

1 comment:

Annette Honeycutt said...

So happy you're blogging! I've missed your words! And we miss seeing you guys! Glad you're all settled in! I'm super jealous of all your country living!!!!! But super duper happy for you!